Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Oct 22, 2008 - Grant's Park in Portland

Author Beverly Cleary of Henry Huggins and Ramona Quimby fame is from Portland. In her honor a park that is close to her two childhood homes features a statue of these two characters and Henry's dog, Ribsy.

We used these statues to model some of my crocheted scarves and hats so I could post them on my hatsoffthehook.etsy.com shop.

Not one of the three of us had ever read any of Beverly Cleary's books so we listened to the delightful first chapter of her first book, Henry Huggins(pub 1951), while driving to Portland from Tillamook.

I really like this park. In addition to the statues there's a water fountain, a high school, and some distinguished trees. The last picture with Mom and I is with a huge plane tree.

2 comments:

Ben Rasmussen said...

ha! these are great.

I read all the Ramona books as a kid. My favorite part was a time when Ramona was so mad that she threatened to say a bad word. She got madder and madder until she said it. The word turned out to be boogers or something equally silly.

Cindi said...

You had four daughters and never read the Ramona books? I'm shocked. Amy loves them.