Wednesday, July 18, 2007

July 13 - St John




On the road from Bangor to New Brunswick the road to Calais takes you to the top of a long wonderful ridge. The Great North Woods stretch as far as the eye can see in every direction and are a wonder to behold! I can’t imagine bushwhacking through that wilderness of trees. No wonder the original colonists were confined to the coast for two centuries.

After crossing back into Canada we drove to Alma and then the Hopewell Rocks. What an amazing place. In this upper part of the Bay of Fundy the tides are the highest on earth. The Bay narrows and the rising tides are magnified in the confinement. Additionally, the ebb and flow create a bathtub effect, which further amplifies the tides. They rise and fall four stories every 6+ hours. We arrived at low tide and enjoyed walking around on the bottom of the ocean. Places that were 30+ feet under water just hours before. The Hopewell Rocks are fanciful freestanding formations which have been eroded by the tides. Often they are smaller at the bottom and larger at the top. Usually, they have trees and ferns growing atop them. It was great to explore among them. Near the rocks we found vast mud flats left exposed by the receding tide. In Alma we saw fishing boats lying on the bottom with sea far away across the mud. In a few hours, they’ll be floating again, tie up to the dock.

We spent a lot of time at Hopewell and loved it. We drove up through Moncton and then back to St John New Brunswick to the spend the night.

4 comments:

Terri said...

hello from the Bay of Fundy!
I came across your blog posting this evening. I really like how you describe Hopewell Rocks. It's interesting to have a perspective of someone from outside the region. Hope you keep having a great trip!
Terri
bayoffundy.blogspot.com

Alyson said...

What an interesting area. That's cool that you can walk where the water was 30 feet deep hours before. I really want to go there someday.

Chris said...

I was there years ago. It was pretty impressive.

ReveryWings said...

Now I feel like such a hdgfb because as soon as I looked to this post I knew instantly the meaning of esrlfnrf... yes... if I'd just been patient and surfed to the next page I'd have found candleman's description soon enough. Wvywrds are quite succinct at times... perhaps why I, not always so succinct, missed it.

Anyway... I loved the pictures and the discription for the Bay of Funday. I'm sure I could spend days sitting on the cliffs watching the tides come and go.

Was it Sunday?