Friday, February 29, 2008

Cedar City

We enjoyed a perfect day for travelling. We journeyed through Roosevelt, Duchesne, over Indian Canyon, through Price, Huntington, Emery and stopped for lunch in Salina.

In Salina we ate at Mom's Cafe. I first heard about the place from Robert Fulghum in his book It Was On Fire When I Lay Down On It!. He said they serve great Chicken Fried Steak. He wasn't wrong. It's an old fashioned cafe that's been serving meals since 1926. They even made the cover of National Geographic Magazine; which they proudly display on the wall, alongside a signed photo of Caroline Jensen, the proprietor, with Willie Nelson. I really enjoyed the Chicken Fried Steak, perhaps the very best I've had. The gals ate Salmon and when I tasted that I was jealous! It was fabulous.

I topped off my meal with a Blueberry Sour Cream pie that was to die for. The crust was flaky and wonderful and the filling was out of this world!

We poked around sleepy little Salina and visited an old 5 and 10 Cent Store where the gals bought some cards and peanut clusters.

We enjoyed the day and the scenery of Central Utah. It was sunny and warm. In fact we're wondering if we really want to go further south.

While travelling we enjoyed listening to Alan Alda's memoir called Never Have Your Dog Stuffed. It is humorous, warm, enlighting and surprising. What an interesting life that man has led.

We rendezvoused with Booklogged's sister and neice in Cedar and went to a great little restraunt called The Garden House. Their soups of the day were amazing! Cream of Asparagus and a Mushroom Rice soup were both flavorful and delectible. They import a strudel from Germany that is not to be missed. One serving was practically enough to feed the whole table of five. I did share a few tastes and managed the get on the outside of the rest of it.

We finished the day with a fun round of Farkel and hit the hay.

See more at Fiddling With My Food!

No comments: